Sunday, August 1, 2010

Babymoon Recap: San Francisco Part 1

Hello Everyone,
It was really nice to get away but nice to be back. I can't even tell you how wonderful it was to experience 50-60 degree weather. Glorious!

We stayed at the wonderful Fairmont hotel which was in a great location. All three cable cars lined up in front of our hotel and a main bus stop was only a block away so it was pretty easy to get around. We did manage to get a lot walking in. In fact, more than I expected because two days into our trip I had some sore legs and could hardly walk. So long for feeling relaxed and lazy on this getaway!

One of my favorite things about this trip was obviously the food. Hands down San Francisco deserves all the hype it gets for having some of the best restaurants in the US. Our favorite place was this adorable & quaint Italian restaurant, Nob Hill Cafe. We ate there on our first night after checking into our hotel and it honestly was one of the greatest meals I have ever had. I had their cheese tortillini in a cream sauce. It was a great way to get our vacation started. In fact, it was so good and we loved the environment so much {as it wasn't a big touristy attraction} that we came back for dinner two nights later for you guess it... another plate of tortillini!

The next morning we got up and had some yummy banana nutella crepes for breakfast and made our way down to Union Square so I could do some shopping. I think since my husband enjoyed his breakfast so much and was reminded of the yummy banana nutella crepes we had in Paris, that he didn't mind the shopping I just had to do! lol. For lunch we made our way thru Chinatown and had some authentic Chinese food. The eggs rolls were yummy and we stopped at the fortune cookie factory. Lets just say there wasn't much of a tour as this place wasn't nearly as big as it was made out to be. It was a small store that you access from an alley, cramped with 15+ tourists watching a lady put fortune cookies together. I was envisioning this to be a little bit more on the Martha Stewart side walking past ovens and seeing people wear aprons. Umm, yeah not so much. But at least we got a yummy free sample.

Later in the day we made our way down to Ghirardelli Square . I was a little disappointed in Ghirardilli Square as there wasn't really that much to see or places to eat at. Plus, to get home we waited in line for over an hour to ride a cable car back to our hotel. It was freezing standing in that line but a sweet man was out there with his guitar singing away and little kids were dancing to his music. We definitely learned that if you walk one or two blocks from the cable car ends, you can easily get on without having to wait an hour! So glad we learned this trick fairly early on as it saved us a lot of time later on.

Tomorrow, I will share about our visit to Coit Tower and the sunny afternoon we spent in Sausalito.



2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great vacay! I miss crepes! I have a recipe for GF crepes book marked but haven't attempted to make them! i am a bit sad that I won't be able to have crepes when I am in France in February. :( Oh well, I am sure I will make up for it by eating a ton of cheese. :)

    Thanks for sharing your vacation experience. San Fran sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looked like you had a great time! I really would like to visit too! XO

    ReplyDelete